Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Intense Regurgitation

Several concepts and ideas have attracted my attention during the first few days in Boston here at the BAC. Oddly enough, I was expecting a 6’2” professor and I still don’t know why you wrote this in your profile. I guess females on internet dating sites post more comments to taller men but why I believed this, I can only attribute to the resultant information posted online…

So, I haven’t slept in a while and that probably explains the random start.

I have carried something from every discussion with me this week. It hasn’t been the entire lecture, recorded in my notebook for future use I add, but an intimate meaning or concept that is new and discussed in class to further spark my interest. I have even gone as far as to incorporate findings from the video, “Social Life in Small Urban Spaces” by Whyte. Rules such as “Sitting” and “Congregation” have started to influence my design for the Copley Square Apple store. I found the visual proof much more stimulating than the articles, persuading me to believe. The scientific evidence over vast periods of time and varied locations, similar to Paco Underhill’s research, has stuck with me this week. I do remember the Bickford and Duncan articles proving many valid points about residential living and urban impact. As I stated in previous posts, “Pocket Parks” have increased social interaction in locations, where previously linear travel is the best description for the space, around Columbus, Ohio. I see why they are successful now after discussion about Whyte’s research. I plan on incorporating these ideas into my project and will prove to extend the activity of Copley Square into the already social gathering space that is the Apple Store.

A revelation came to me at the Apple store and study of human interaction. I see there are so many other reasons to convene at the Apple store than just for immediate purchase or research. In as sense, hanging out around the product and others using the product can be research, but how does Apple close on the sale? This is what I will continue to study.

Now back to my knives and long metal rulers. Items which might brand me dangerous in a public setting!

1 comment:

Herb Childress said...

Some items do indeed label us as "outsiders" or "insiders" in our place. The Berklee College of Music is right around the corner on Boylston Street, and I see a couple hundred people a day carrying softside guitar bags. Not a physical artifact you see in many other places, but it's part of the "place" of the Back Bay.

I appreciate the fact that you're moving ideas fluidly between your theory and your studio work. That's a habit to develop in every mode you inhabit -- what's really going on is that, if we try to integrate all of these things that we learn and do, we become richer and more complex people with more resources to bring to bear on everything we experience.