Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Duncan Landscape and Class

Duncan truly identifies the situation my sister and brother-in-law have chosen to live in, however I would not associate their location as a division of social status in the community. My sister lives in the "middle of no where" Iowa, just outside Cedar Rapids. She has chosen to live in a small development of houses with large yards in one of the few "forests" of "middle of no where" Iowa with approximately 30 other homes. To arrive at her community, one must travel the never ending rows of corn, take three numbered paved roads and four dirt roads before arriving at a tree line. Both she and her husband’s upbringing where residential suburbs of major cities and both were very active in public school activities. I myself had the same upbringing and chose to live in the same environment in Columbus, Ohio that I knew in Minnesota. Why are we so different in the appreciation of Landscape? I see a major difference in social activities as I would rather meet friends at a sporting event or bar where as my sister will sit in her living room reading a book. I see distinct characteristics of Alpha/Beta tendencies in this respect however economically we are similar in working class.

It is easy to identify various regions of Columbus, Ohio that mimic the effects of Alpha/Beta relationship. As Bickford has defined our suburbs are attracting individuals away from the older established neighborhood. I chose to live in a 1928 home because I value the architecture and more so, the trees taller than my house. I again am a “middle class” citizen but show characteristics of both Alpha and Beta social divisions in my selection of “Landscape.” My street describes Beta and my appreciation for older historic “scenery” would suggest Alpha given Bickford’s division of class in our current society. I would suppose a true Alpha social member would live on a large property with very little interaction between neighbors, but as Duncan describes, I fall under the Beta category.

I feel the person defines who they are, and from their upbringing suggests a “Landscape” they select as adults. Both social interaction and socioeconomic status growing up or achieved in life defines their habits and actions within the community. This exemplifies a pre-selected geographic location they have a tendency to select.

1 comment:

Jaclyn said...

Matt,
I'd be interested to know if each of your spouses agrees with your landscapes. i.e.: Does the Beta landscape suit your wife as well and does the Alpha landscape suit your brother-in-law? I know for my husband and me we are probably both in the middle but for different reasons. Like you stated I am more the outgoing and he is more the quiet type. So I wonder if we could mesh everything to decide on what landscape we would live it.
-Jaclyn